Sunday, September 25, 2011

Random happenings, banned books, a disappointment and Writer's ADD

So, I missed out on writing yesterday, I thought I'd have time and I guess, in a way, I did but I ended up falling asleep instead.

So, let's catch up, shall we?

This last week was an interesting one, Monday I accompanied Ashley (my wife) and her mother to the doctor, where we were told we'd listen to a heart beat and possibly have an ultra sound. After speaking with the doctor we were told it was too early to detect a heartbeat and that they didn't have any openings for the ultrasound. Which, in my opinion, was akin to showing a small child a shiny red balloon and then, upon handing said balloon to the child, you stick it with a pin. Needless to say we were disappointed, especially Ashley (she had literally been counting down the days until this appointment.)

Later on that evening we went to see a movie, Cowboys and Aliens, and I must confess it was amazing. I went in suspecting I'd enjoy the film but be unimpressed, when it was over I was simply astounded by how two worlds (and genres), so different and far apart could be combined in such a way as to create something new, entertaining and enjoyable. Job well done, I think.

Somewhere in the week we also obtained a minifridge, which we needed, though I confess I've always wanted one. The purchase of our new and handy mini made me realize, once again I'm afraid, just how quickly money evaporates out of my wallet and how much longer it takes to refill it.

Any who, I also wished to write a little more about writing, as I have realized that I'm a bit of a lazy writer, or perhaps unfocused one. I enjoy writing, nay, I love to write, but I have a problem with sticking to one story, I have beginings to several that are written, the beginings of some middles and some of the endings still in my mind. However, I "jump" from one story to the next, leap frogging and bouncing back and forth like a ball in the pinball machine. To top it off, I'm continuously thinking up new ideas and stories and I fear I'll never be able to share them all, and while the goals I set have been helping me write, they don't help with my mind, ever jumping to and fro. I'll need to figure out a way to stay focused, if there are suggestions I'll be happy to hear them. Also, if there is any subject you'd prefer to be reading about let me know in the comments.

Salt Lake County Library's Goodreads Banned Books challenge is coming to an end (it asked for any and all to read one book from the current banned books list, which includes; To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Kurt Cobain by Micheal Martin and, oddly enough, Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl amongst many others, such as the Twilight series. Of the first three books I listed here, I've read them all, two were required reading for school and the other was my own choice. I enjoyed everyone of them and was surprised to find them on this list.)

Here's the link to the banned books list, take a look:
http://www.slcolibrary.org/le/lesp/pdf/2010banned.pdf

Also, as mentioned in a previous blog, my first I believe, All Hallow's Read is still going on, check it out here:
http://www.allhallowsread.com/

Well, think that about wraps up what I had on my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment