Monday, October 7, 2013

Halloween and All Hallows Read

OMG! 

HALLOWEEN IS COMING!!

*ahem*

Now that that outburst is done.

Halloween is fast approaching. Once one of my absolute favorite holidays..

Well, to be honest, in many ways it still is, though for different reasons. I suppose the truth is its less the actual holiday and just the season. An excuse to celebrate all the things I grew up loving and getting weird looks for.

All the dark things, the creepy things and unexplainable things. I've long had a deep seeded love of vampires (non sparkly, thank you) and witches (darker and more macabre than the Hogwarts variety, though I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't absolutely, and remain absolutely, (warning: pun ahead) spellbound by the Hogwarts breed as well). Goblins and ghouls, ghosts and monsters, graveyards and spooky, mist filled nights.

Admittedly, I was always less fascinated by zombies and werewolves and honestly I remain this way, though I do love the Walking Dead. Less for its zombies and more for the interesting story aspect, with characters that have actual, well written, arcs.

Though if I'm honest with you, and myself, my love of this season comes more from the childish side of things. The macabre blended whole heartedly with a heaping dose of laughs and sprinkled with innocence. Remenicient of most things Tim Burton. I'd be lying to you if I said I enjoyed the whole scare your pants off side of it all.

I don't.

I don't like being scared. For me it isn't fun, and is far from enjoyable in any sense of that word. Despite this I've been to my far share of haunted houses and horror movies. Never truly my idea, but a tradition of the masses I somehow find myself as a participant in, not always, but more often than not.

But with Halloween and this season comes a newer tradition I've advocated here on the blog for the last few years.
I love this

All Hallows Read

The idea is a simple one. On Halloween, give someone a book, probably a scary book or a creepy book or a book in the spirit of the season. Or at the very least, just a book.

It's something fun and beautiful. There aren't many things that make me happier than to see somebody reading a book. Reading really is a good thing. It offers us knowledge, expands our vocabularies and allows us to step into other worlds and meet new people and make new friends. Books teach us lessons, not just about grammar or spelling but about life. About emotions and situations and people.

Stories carry morals and sometimes, invaluable lessons. Sometimes stories, books and words, save lives.

Words are powerful, they have meaning and are capable of carrying that meaning straight to ones very core.

Books are gateways. To other lives, states, countries and even worlds and realms. Where magic coincides with people and monsters exist and can be defeated, or sometimes not.

All Hallows Read.

Just another reason to love October.

You can find out more here at the website.

Go ahead, give someone a book this Halloween.

Last years poster and still my favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment