Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Single Parenting


Photo By Becky Green Photography



Wow…

I’ve always respected single parents. After all, they do some pretty heavy lifting, playing the part of both mom and dad. I didn’t ever really think I could do it and I guess in some ways I’m still not sure. I’ve had more than my fair share of help with my son over the last few weeks from my family, who adore the little guy almost as much as I do.

And while I’m sure they’ll always be willing to help out, eventually I’m not going to see them everyday. Soon (I hope) I’ll be out on my own again. That means when my son goes to stay with his mom it’ll just be me and when he comes to visit it’ll just be the two of us. That’s a pretty scary thought.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel confident about my capabilities. I spent a lot of my time as a stay at home dad before his mother and I separated and there was even a time during which his mother was in the hospital where it was just him and I for days on end. I know I can handle him, but it’s still scary.

He’s a lot more mobile now than he was then and is fast approaching toddlerdom (if he isn’t there already, not super certain of that whole transition). Chuck Wendig, an excellent author and creator of the hilariously stupendous blog Terribleminds once wrote a post about his own son where he draws a pretty accurate comparison. He says (of having a toddler), “...every day is like that moment in Jurassic Park where the dinosaurs learn to open doors,” and I think that’s a pretty accurate assessment.

It’s scary to think about, trying to make sure he doesn’t eat any of the children hiding in the kitchen... er, sorry, he’s not actually a velociraptor. He doesn’t eat people…

I don’t think…

I also don't keep children hidden in my kitchen... O_o

Don't look at me like that...

*awkward shuffle*
*coff*
*ahem*

Anywho, I guess what I’m getting down to is this is another aspect of fear, stemming from self doubt and I’m sure what amounts to a fairly normal feeling amongst all parents.

It’s the: I have no idea what I’m doing feeling.

That’s a common feeling, right?

Right?

Only it's doubled, or more, because it's just me while Bootstrap comes to stay. So..

For you single parents out there, single mothers and single fathers, what do you do? How do you do it? I know some struggle more than others. I know that all of you sacrifice and know that some sacrifice more than others. I realize that you do whatever you have to for your children and I know that’s what I’ll do as well. Are there any tips you can offer? Things to avoid? Things to focus on? Not just to help me out as a single father but things I can do for my son to help him with having two single parents and two different homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment