Wednesday, September 11, 2013

New found love.. (of poetry)





I’ve very recently discovered that I actually enjoy writing poetry a lot.

This is funny because I used to hate writing poetry.

Literally.

I hated writing poetry. It was okay to read, if it was good, but I didn’t have an appreciation for it.

For as long as I can remember I’ve always loved stories. I loved making up stories, even when I was really little. I didn’t realize it at the time, but all the adventures my G.I. Joe’s and Star Wars action figures went on, all the deaths and heartaches and fighting and betrayals I made them suffer. Those were all stories. Granted, terrible stories filled with plot holes and any other number of problems, but still, they were stories.

And I still love making up stories.

But I had a problem with poetry. I wasn’t interested and more than that I just didn’t get it. I took writing classes throughout school because I wanted to write and get better at writing, but I knew that I’d have to write poetry as well and I groaned every time those assignments came around.

Often I did the very least amount of work possible to earn an acceptable grade, writing complete trash about whatever popped into my mind. I still have quite a few of those papers and poems and frankly, they’re embarrassing.

My teachers would often tell me how much they liked my poems (when I actually tried) and they’d always try to convince me to try harder. My creative writing teacher stopped giving me full points on the garbage poetry I wrote (bless her soul) in an attempt to motivate me a bit more. It didn’t really help.

I remember one of my English teachers tried to get me to enter into a poetry slam the English department had. I had absolutely no interest but agreed anyway. At just about the last minute I back out because I knew my poetry wasn’t really that good and I have a thing about being in front and around people. I spent most of my school life trying to be invisible and I did a pretty damn good job of it.

I was and still am shy, awkward and antisocial. A total wallflower, if you will.

I remember she called me a coward.

It hurt more than I was willing to admit.

Not because it was rude (it was, especially coming from a teacher) but because it was true and I knew it was true.

But I also knew I wasn’t interested. There were some poems I liked. A couple I wrote that I enjoyed writing, but writing poetry felt more like a cheese grater being dragged across my brain.

Until recently.


If you haven’t heard of him you need to YouTube him. Like right now. Because holy amazeballs he is beyond talented. You'll find others have uploaded a lot more videos of his performances than he has, explore a little. I did. I started looking for more of his stuff and then more stuff by other people. I’m still pretty picky about the poetry I like and what I don’t. I guess it has to speak to me. I feel like that’s what poetry should do. Speak to you. That’s what any type of art should do really.

I’m not saying that poems should be one size fits all. Art doesn’t work that way. Not everything is going to touch me, move me or make me feel. But the things that do are pretty amazing and I feel poetry is one of those mediums that, when done well, can reach out wipe away your tears or make you cry them.

When any type of art can do that it’s beautiful.

My eyes were opened to the potential poetry has. I realized that poetry can be another medium for storytelling and as stupid as it may sound that thought just never clicked. I wanted to try my hand it and I did.

I’ve written two poems, both longer than any other poem I’ve ever written. Both pretty personal, filled with thoughts and memories.

I like them.

I don’t know that I’ll ever share them.

Maybe.

I’m very interested in finding and immersing myself a bit in the poetry community. Things like poetry slams or places where people just share their poetry because that’s what they do. I’d like to explore a bit. Listen to local talent.

If you know of anything in Utah, specifically the Salt Lake area, feel free to comment or email me.

Also, what are your thoughts on poetry? Do you have a favorite type of poetry? A favorite poet? Comment and share. I’d love to expand my poetry base by reading and listening to things I haven’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment